Eat a total of 800 grams (g) of fruits and vegetables, by weight, per day. No foods are restricted during the challenge, but you only count your fruits and vegetables towards the 800g total. Raw, cooked, canned, frozen; doesn’t matter! If you can weigh it as a standalone and unprocessed fruit or vegetable, you can count it. Need more details? Click here!
What if you already follow a meal plan? You can eat the fruits and vegetables you like while still following other nutritional targets. Your choices can be higher carb, lower carb, all fruit, Keto, Paleo: it’s your choice. You can cheat any diet or system. If you are questioning if something counts, it probably does not.
Why 800g? It’s associated with increased health and is a simplified way to hit those recommended servings of fruits and vegetables. (More Information.) Fruits and vegetables have more value than processed carbohydrates. If you’re already on a meal plan and seeing success, why not take your health to the next level and see how much better you feel eating whole foods.
October 15th– November 11th (4 weeks)
- 2 points are awarded for eating 800 grams of fruits and/or vegetables in a day. You do not get extra points for any amount over 800g.
- 1 additional point is awarded for “diversity”: when 6 or more fruits and/or vegetables are used to hit your daily 800g total (where each of these 6+ items has to have a minimum of 25g). Hitting 800g is a day is a prerequisite to being eligible for this point.
- 1 point is also awarded for working out at No Mercy CrossFit (max 5 points per week). A run on your own or workout in your home gym does not count. If you travel, working out at another gym will count.
- 1 final point will be awarded for completing October’s “Daily Challenge”. (max 5 points per week)
- Extra Credit: 1 point per week will be awarded for sharing a photo of your colorful plate, or of yourself working out at No Mercy. (No Mercy CrossFit must be tagged in the post in order to receive the point!)
We will award one month of free membership to the person with the highest point total at the end of the 4 weeks. There will also be a few runner-up prizes.
- $10 per person – If you choose not to buy-in, you can still follow the challenge, but you won’t be eligible for the prizes
- No Mercy CrossFit members’ spouses, significant others or roommates can play along, too. Get the whole house onboard to stay motivated throughout the challenge.
- The same rules apply, except no workout points are awarded and there is no prize in the unaffiliated group.
What will help you succeed?
- Food Scale
- Before and after – Body weight, Measurements, Photos, etc.
- Prepping Food
- Sharing tips and tricks with our community throughout the challenge
- Follow @Optimizemenutrition on Instagram
Tips and Tricks
- Wash all of your fruits and veggies when you get them home so they’re ready to eat
- Weigh out portion sizes ahead of time so they’re easy to grab
- Peel before weighing if you’re not eating the food in its entirety
- Soak sliced apples in salt water to retain the flavor and keep from turning brown
- Roast a pan of mixed vegetables (425°, 30-40mins)
- Fruit smoothies are quick and easy
- Peel, slice in half, and freeze bananas for smoothies = more fruit, less ice
- Replace rice and pastas with root vegetables (sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash, etc.)
- Most restaurant vegetable servings are between 75-85g
- Front load your day…try to get as much in at breakfast and lunch, so you aren’t scrambling later
Synkowski, EC. “OptimizeMe Nutrition.” OptimizeMe Nutrition, 5 Oct. 2018, optimizemenutrition.com/.